- Changes in Representative Director and Directors.
- Updated the data viewer software of the 2D Birefringence Measurement System PA/WPA Series.
- Updated the data viewer software of thin film thickness /refractive index ellipsometric measurement ME Series.
- Notice regarding the impact of the earthquake that occurred on February 13th.
- Company Name
- Photonic Lattice, Inc.
- Business Field
•Manufacturing, sales, design, R&D of photonic crystals
•Manufacturing, selling, design, R&D of systems based on photonic crystals
•Trial manufacturing, transfer of technology and patent licensing
- LABO CITY SENDAI, 6-6-3 Minami-Yoshinari, Aoba-Ku, Sendai-City, Miyagi 989-3204, Japan
- July 4, 2002
- 90,000,000 JPY, Capital reserve: 53,000,000 JPY
- Management Team
Representative Director, President Takashi ONUMA Senior Executive Director Takashi SATO Director Yoshihiko INOUE Director Takayuki KAWASHIMA Director(part-time) Takashi TAKIMIZU
Director(part-time) Masami SAKAGUCHI
Auditor(part-time) Hidemichi TAKAHATA
Founder Shojiro KAWAKAMI
- Main Bank
- MUFG Bank, Ltd/ Sendai center branch
Message from the President
Since its establishment in 2002 as a venture company from Tohoku University, Photonic Lattice, Inc. has been expanding its business based on unique optical technology.
We design and manufacture photonic crystals, our core competence, for optical measurement and control applications.
We also develop and sell application products such as polarization imaging systems, polarization measurement systems, and infrared spectroscopy systems, which are based on our optical technology, in collaboration with our parent company, PHOTRON LIMITED.
We have introduced our products to various customers such as universities, research institutes, and manufacturing companies in Japan and overseas, and have been working to contribute to the achievement of cutting-edge research and improvement of production efficiency.
With a spirit of sincerity, we will continue to pursue the possibilities of “Optics” with our unique technologies and meet the potential problems and expectations of our customers.
We also value “co-creation” and “symbiosis” in order to create new values that cannot be achieved by ourselves by actively engaging in various technological and regional exchanges.
All of us will make every effort to continue to grow as a global company from Sendai City in the Tohoku region.
Your support and your cooperation is welcome and will always be highly appreciated, as our relation with our partners is at the core of our activities.
Representative Director, President Takashi ONUMA
Co-Creation (Founders Message)
Photonic Lattice, Inc. was founded to develop new photonic crystal products with the goal of expanding the functionalities of optical systems in a broad number of industries. Our core strength is in our process technology which enables formation of arbitrarily shaped micro-polarizers and micro-waveplates onto inorganic substrates. It is our desire to deliver integrated optical devices which can be used to advance the performance of current optical systems.
The first significant commercialization program of Photonic Lattices was the development and manufacturing of 2D measurement equipment systems. The “eye” of such systems consists of a patterned photonic crystal, a device innovated by Photonic Lattice. As Photonic Lattice wishes to make our core photonic crystal technology available to more industries, we have recently started a new business line: design and fabrication of special-purpose photonic crystal chips. A few industries which already benefit from such innovative chips include optical communications (polarization multiplexing), semiconductor wafer inspection (DUV inspection systems), and laser machining. Our photonic crystal products play essential roles in each of these fields and allow our customers, who are top-tier technology companies, to differentiate their product lines from competition.
In different branches of optics, our customers have ambitions to create new functions in their product offerings. It is our goal to help our customers to achieve their goals by mutually engaging with them in product design and fabrication. To add a few words about our technology, our products are formed by sputtering techniques which are inherently rugged and reliable. By selecting appropriate materials, we can provide products which extend from the DUV through the infrared spectra. Our materials have been confirmed to withstand high power laser light and therefore can be safely used in demanding environments. It is our hope that we can continue to expand our technologies into new application areas and build mutually beneficial relationships with our customers.
Founder, Shojiro KAWAKAMI
A company focused on LIGHT
We take pleasure in creating customer satisfaction by providing the highest quality optical content that exceeds customer expectations and needs, and we are committed to contribute to the development of social infrastructure and cutting-edge manufacturing fields.
In addition, we value the spirit of “co-creation” and “symbiosis,” in which we create even greater value together with diverse people, technologies, and communities by becoming a company that customers can rely on through the pursuit of unique technologies and expertise.
Photonic Lattice Inc. will continue to promote corporate activities that reduce environmental impact in order to contribute to the conservation and coexistence of the global environment.
We will always strive to improve the quality of our products and operations, provide products that create new market value with our technology,and contribute to society with customer satisfaction and trust.
Photonic Lattice History
- The Company’s core technology “Technology for preparing photonic crystal by auto-cloning” was invented by S. Kawakami in Research Institute of Electrical Communication of Tohoku university.
Photonic Lattice, Inc. was established. S. Kawakami took up a post as the president and CEO.
The Company started at NICHe of Tohoku university.
- The Company realized a capital increase from 3 venture capital investors.
- The central office was moved to Aoba Incubation Square (Aoba-ku, Sendai city). The Company kicked off business pursuits.
- Polarization imaging camera PI-100 with the photonic crystals was released.
- The Company realized a capital increase from two venture capital investors and two companies.
Birefringence measurement system WPA-100 was released.
Photonic crystal optical elements were identified as “Miyagi sugure MONO”.
- The Company was affected by The Great East Japan Earthquake. K. Kishida took up a post as the president and CEO. The central office was moved to Minami-Yoshinari, Aoba-ku, Sendai city.
- The Company received ISO9001.
- Five new products were released.
The Company won the Inoue Harushige Prize.
T. Sato took up a post as the president and CEO.
- Birefringence measurement system WPA-200 was identified as “Miyagi sugure MONO”.
Capital decreased to 90 million yen and capital reserve changed to 53 million yen.
The Company received ISO14001.
- The name of the building changes to “LABO CITY SENDAI”.
- Photonic Lattice, Inc. joined the group of PHOTRON LIMITED, our joint development partner.
- Takashi ONUMA took up a post as Representative Director, President.
LABO CITY SENDAI, 6-6-3 Minami-Yoshinari, Aoba-ku Sendai city, Miyagi,
By taxi from JR Sendai Station
From JR Sendai Station, it takes about 30 minutes by taxi. The fee is typically around 3,000 yen.