- Company Name
- Photonic Lattice, Inc.
- Business Field
•Manufacturing, sales, design, R&D of photonic crystals
•Manufacturing, selling, design, R&D of systems based on photonic crystals
•Trial manufacturing, transfer of technology and patent licensing
- LABO CITY SENDAI, 6-6-3 Minami-Yoshinari, Aoba-Ku, Sendai-City, Miyagi 989-3204, Japan
- July 4, 2002
- Capitalization Capital
- 90,000,000 JPY, Capital reserve: 53,000,000 JPY
Innovation Engine, Inc.,
Kirayaka Consulting & Partners, Ltd.
- Management Team
Representative Director, President Takashi SATO Director Yoshihiko INOUE Director Takayuki KAWASHIMA Auditor Mutsumi SUZUKI Founder Shojiro KAWAKAMI
- Main Bank
- MUFG Bank, Ltd/ Sendai center branch
Message from the President
Since its establishment in 2002, Photonic Lattice has consistently delivered unique optical elements, made of “photonic crystals”, to various customers such as system manufacturers and research institutes. We continuously develop novel technology in order to keep providing valuable “photonic crystal” products, as our way to contribute to society.
Representative Director, President Takashi SATO
Co-Creation (Founders Message)
Photonic Lattice, Inc. was founded to develop new photonic crystal products with the goal of expanding the functionalities of optical systems in a broad number of industries. Our core strength is in our process technology which enables formation of arbitrarily shaped micro-polarizers and micro-waveplates onto inorganic substrates. It is our desire to deliver integrated optical devices which can be used to advance the performance of current optical systems.
The first significant commercialization program of Photonic Lattices was the development and manufacturing of 2D measurement equipment systems. The “eye” of such systems consists of a patterned photonic crystal, a device innovated by Photonic Lattice. As Photonic Lattice wishes to make our core photonic crystal technology available to more industries, we have recently started a new business line: design and fabrication of special-purpose photonic crystal chips. A few industries which already benefit from such innovative chips include optical communications (polarization multiplexing), semiconductor wafer inspection (DUV inspection systems), and laser machining. Our photonic crystal products play essential roles in each of these fields and allow our customers, who are top-tier technology companies, to differentiate their product lines from competition.
In different branches of optics, our customers have ambitions to create new functions in their product offerings. It is our goal to help our customers to achieve their goals by mutually engaging with them in product design and fabrication. To add a few words about our technology, our products are formed by sputtering techniques which are inherently rugged and reliable. By selecting appropriate materials, we can provide products which extend from the DUV through the infrared spectra. Our materials have been confirmed to withstand high power laser light and therefore can be safely used in demanding environments. It is our hope that we can continue to expand our technologies into new application areas and build mutually beneficial relationships with our customers.
Founder, Shojiro KAWAKAMI
We will continuously develop various capabilities of auto-cloning photonic crystal technology, modify our technology by listening to the voice of customers and provide useful new products for customers. Then, we play a role in Japanese industry by becoming a model for success of high-tech ventures in the optoelectronic industry.
- We will promote resource/energy saving, reduction of the waste, and maintain healthy environment including the prevention of the pollution.
- We will achieve customer satisfaction by providing eco-friendly products.
- Our company will observe all environmental laws, regulations, and municipal bylaws.
- We will satisfy the requirements of the quality/environment management system and achieve our objectives by making continuous improvement.
- All employees and officers will act under this policy with thorough understanding and cooperation.
Photonic Lattice History
- The Company’s core technology “Technology for preparing photonic crystal by auto-cloning” was invented by S. Kawakami in Research Institute of Electrical Communication of Tohoku university.
Photonic Lattice, Inc. was established. S. Kawakami took up a post as the president and CEO.
The Company started at NICHe of Tohoku university.
- The Company realized a capital increase from 3 venture capital investors.
- The central office was moved to Aoba Incubation Square (Aoba-ku, Sendai city). The Company kicked off business pursuits.
- Polarization imaging camera PI-100 with the photonic crystals was released.
- The Company realized a capital increase from two venture capital investors and two companies.
Birefringence measurement system WPA-100 was released.
Photonic crystal optical elements were identified as “Miyagi sugure MONO”.
- The Company was affected by The Great East Japan Earthquake. K. Kishida took up a post as the president and CEO. The central office was moved to Minami-Yoshinari, Aoba-ku, Sendai city.
- The Company received ISO9001.
- Five new products were released.
The Company won the Inoue Harushige Prize.
T. Sato took up a post as the president and CEO.
- Birefringence measurement system WPA-200 was identified as “Miyagi sugure MONO”.
Capital decreased to 90 million yen and capital reserve changed to 53 million yen.
The Company received ISO14001.
- The name of the building changes to “LABO CITY SENDAI”.
LABO CITY SENDAI, 6-6-3 Minami-Yoshinari, Aoba-ku Sendai city, Miyagi,
By taxi from JR Sendai Station
From JR Sendai Station, it takes about 30 minutes by taxi. The fee is typically around 3,000 yen.